How Do I Get Started?
One of the most difficult steps in developing a new lifestyle is taking the first step. The first step towards a Gracie Jiu Jitsu lifestyle is to turn up to a Gracie Combatives class. In attending your first session wear comfortable clothes, such as a T-shirt and track suit pants (Please no zips or buttons as they may damage our mats).
What Is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu?
Gracie Jiu Jitsu ® is the self defense method that was pioneered by the late Grandmaster Helio Gracie. Grandmaster Helio developed a method of training that allows a person to successfully defend themselves against another person regardless of size or weight discrepancies.
Why Do Gracie Jiu-Jitsu?
- Jiu-jitsu is a great source of cardiovascular exercise which promotes good overall health.
- Jiu-jitsu is a great core workout which helps a person with overall stability and balance.
- In addition to the health benefits, Gracie Jiu Jitsu ® teaches very important self-defense techniques that may help to save a person’s life if caught in a situation with a physically aggressive opponent.
- When a person knows how to defend himself or herself physically, they feel more confident!
- Jiu-jitsu is a very family oriented martial art. It’s a lifestyle that can be practiced by a family as a whole.
- The more well-versed a person is in Jiu Jitsu, the more they learn to be calm under pressure, which can help a person learn to relax during normal hectic problems of their daily encounters.
- Since Jiu Jitsu is a close contact martial art with many training partners, it’s a great way to make friends.
- Promotes a healthy diet. Whether a person trains competitively or leisurely, it’s common for practitioners of the sport to adopt the entire jiu-jitsu lifestyle, which entails a healthy diet.
- Learning the intricate jiu-jitsu techniques helps promote problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Jiu-Jitsu is for everybody, regardless of age, sex, or physical limitations! Based on the gentle nature of jiu-jitsu, its range of practitioners is vast!
How Is Gracie Jiu-Jitsu ® Different From Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Technically speaking all Jiu Jitsu from Brazil is Brazilian jiu jitsu. However where Gracie Jiu Jitsu focuses on technique with consideration for self defense, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is commonly linked to a style of Jiu Jitsu designed with the focus of competition and point scoring techniques. Techniques are applicable within weight division and do not always take into consideration the potential danger elements within a street fight.
Do You Focus on Competition Sparring?
Gracie Jiu Jitsu ® was developed primarily as a method of self defense. Currently the sportative aspect of brazilian Jiu Jitsu has been made popular by events such as the UFC. However our primary goal is to teach our students how to realistically and effectively defend themselves if they have been unable to avoid a physical altercation.
‘Rolling’ does occur at our academy however the aim is not to count wins and losses but to develop a level of control and confidence over our body that allows an individual to move freely and defend ourselves. Come enjoy a human chess match.
What Is Rolling?
Rolling is often misconceived as a competition between two people on the mat to see who can tap the other. At Sendai Jiu Jitsu it is a physical chess match, where technique is held in higher regard then athletic ability.
How Much Do You Charge?
No grading fee, no affiliation fees, no joining fees, Just your fortnightly fee.
- Gracie Combatives® program – Adult classes – Covers all classes available and unlimited training – $79.00 per fortnight
- Gracie Bullyproof® – $50.00 per fortnight
- Women Empowered – women only classes – $50.00 per fortnight – Unlimited training – (Free if enrolled in addition to Gracie Combatives)
- Master Cycle® – Covers all classes available and unlimited training – $79.00 per fortnight (includes unlimited access to all Gracie Combatives® and reflex development classes)
- Striking Skills – $20.00 per fortnight (NO COST TO ALL GRACIE BURWOOD MEMBERS)
Do you offer discounts?
Yes, we have a range of discounts available, however documentation of proof of profession is required.
- 10%. discount for tertiary students
- 25% discount for first responders
- discount for a second family member, 50% for all subsequent family members
*Family discount is eligible for spouses and parents and children paying from a single bank account for all fees.
Do I Need A Uniform?
The academy follows the ettiquette that Grandmaster Helio Gracie decreed while he developed the most effective self defense art. All students are only allowed to wear white Jiu Jitsu Gis
How Long Does It Take To Reach Each Belt?
Progression to black belt at a reputable school is commonly expected to take approximately 10 years in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu ®
Group Class Benefits
- No Experience Necessary: We structure all beginner Gracie Academy programs so that you can start at any time without any previous experience. Regardless of your age, athletic ability, or skill level, you will be able to execute the techniques on your very first day.
- Maximum Mat Time: With several group classes available per week, students are able to get the most amount of training time for a most reasonable price.
- Different Body Types: In a street fight, you will not be allowed to choose your opponent. In group classes, you will have the opportunity to practice your techniques on training partners of various body types, and this will ensure your readiness for whatever comes your way.
- Join the Family: Gracie Academy students, and their instructors, are a family bonded by their quest for self-mastery on and off the mat. Join the group classes and you automatically become part of the family.
Private Class Benefits
- Personal Attention: The techniques taught in group classes and private classes are the same. The difference is that when you are training one-on-one with an instructor, he/she will give you immediate feedback regarding your technical execution since he/she knows precisely how it is supposed to feel. In a group lesson, unless you have a very attentive training partner, you may make a mistake and not realize it, and this may lead to the development of bad habits.
- Linear Learning: Although the group classes require no previous experience, it has been proven that the order in which you learn the techniques greatly affects the time it takes you to master the art. In private lessons, your instructor will present the techniques in the optimum order.
- Flexible Schedule: In general, private lessons can be scheduled at any time, day or night, however crazy your schedule may be; and you will always be able to get your weekly dose of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
- Minimum Time, Maximum Results: Whether you only have 30 days to train before you are deployed, or you are traveling from halfway around the world to spend one week at a Gracie Academy Certified Training Center, private classes will enable you to get the most amount of knowledge in the least amount of time.
- Quick Boost: If you regularly attend the group classes and want to tighten up on a few Gracie Combatives techniques or get ready for a test, you can schedule a one-time private class to give you a boost.
- Disability: If you or a loved one have a physical or mental disability that could get in the way from benefiting fully in a group class setting, private classes are a great option since the instructor will be able to modify the techniques to accommodate special needs.